Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Here I Am...

Thought I would let you know that my brother's service was very comforting.  He loved the outdoors and spent a number of years fishing in Alaska during which he developed some strong friendships with the men he worked with.  Each of them had a story to tell about Doug.... some scary, like when he fell off the ship and the swells were huge.  But one of the guys grabbed his arm and held on until they could winch him back onboard.  Some of the stories were funny but every single one of those men had the deepest respect for my brother and his work ethic as well as what a great friend he was to everyone he met.  Very comforting stories for his family.

Even though it's been traumatic over the past couple of weeks, I still got some blocks done which I want ot share with you.  As you know I started a Sylvia's Bridal Quilt.... and I now have the full first row completed.











And I'm making the entire quilt with my 1950 Singer Featherweight machine, which I've finally decided is going to be a working machine, not just a collectible.  I love the beautiful stitches it makes.

I started soaking the fruit for my Christmas cakes on November 1st, a little late.... and they sat in that brandy for almost a week before I managed to add the other ingredients.  So it should be interesting to taste the cakes, which are in a cool place wrapped in brandy-soaked cheesecloth until I decide to gift one to someone.





Thanks for hanging in there with me and waiting until I got back.  And thank you, each and everyone, for the condolences...

No comments:

Post a Comment